UP Bar Council requests Union Minister Nitin Gadkari for exempting lawyers from toll tax across India
Union Minister Nitin Gadkari has received a letter by the Bar Council of Uttar Pradesh for passing directions to exempt lawyers from paying toll tax across India.
The UP Bar Council in its letter dated March 13,has informed that the Advocates are required to travel to Supreme Court, High Court and other subordinate Courts and Tribunals for judicial work. and so would be grateful if directions are issued on exempting lawyers from toll tax across India.
The letter which was sent by the Vice Chairman of UP Bar Council, Jay Narayan Pandey, states that presently, lawyers are required to pay toll tax just like the common public for travelling from one place to the other despite the fact that lawyers travel for judicial work.
In India, the following are exempted from paying toll taxes-
• The President
• The Vice-President;
• The Prime-Minister
• The Governor of a State;
• The Chief Justice of India;
• The Speaker of the House of People;
• The Cabinet Minister of the Union;
• Chief Minister of a State;
• Judge of the Supreme Court;
• The Minister of State of the Union;
• The Lieutenant Governor of a Union territory;
• The Chief of Staff holding the rank of full General or equivalent rank;
• The Chairman of the Legislative Council of a State;
• The Speaker of the Legislative Assembly of a State;
• The Chief Justice of a High Court;
• Judge of a High Court;
• The Member of Parliament;
• The Army Commander of Vice-Chief of Army Staff and equivalent in other services:
• The Chief Secretary to a State Government within concerned State;
• The Secretary to the Government of India;
• The Secretary, Council of States;
• The Secretary, House of People;
• The Foreign dignitary on State visit;
• The Member of legislative Assembly of a State and the Member of Legislative Council of a State within their respective State, if he or she produces his or her identity card issued by the concerned Legislature of the State;
• The awardee of Pram Vir Chakra, Ashok Chakra, Maha Vir Chakra, Kirti Chakra, Vir Chakra and Shaurya Chakra, if such awardee produces his or her photo identity card duly authenticated by the appropriate or competent authority for such award;
The list also has people from the Ministry of Defense including those who are eligible for exemption in accordance with the provisions of the Indian Toll (Army and Air Force) Act, 1901 and it is extended to Navy also.
Along with this the Central and State armed forces in uniform including Para military forces and police are exempted from paying toll tax.
An Executive Magistrate; The fire-fighting Department or organization, The National Highway Authority of India or any other Government organization using such vehicle for inspection, survey, construction or operation of national highways is exempted too.
Vehicles used as ambulance and as funeral van; Mechanical vehicles specially designed and constructed for use of a person suffering from physical disability are also not charged.